what is liift4
LIIFT4 is an eight week, four day a week workout/nutrition program…did I mention its only 4 days a week? 🙂
Created and led by Beachbody Super Trainer, Joel Freeman, this program is a no-nonsense combination of weightlifting and high intensity (HIIT) cardio to build muscle and scorch fat. The moves are based on classic lifting techniques that let you isolate, stabilize and focus each rep on the muscle group you’re working. Every workout ends with a core routine for a full body build and burn that leaves you shredded. There are no gimmicky moves, no overly complicated routines and no opportunity for boredom because you’ll never do the same workout twice.
The nutrition program also includes a “cheat day,” which I promise you Chris and I took full advantage of every week for the entire 8 week program.
While the program is primarily a “build” program, the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns on a consistent basis, so weight loss generally coincides with lean muscle development. In other words, this program is great for men AND women who are looking to lean out and sculpt!
what you need to complete liift4
- Access to a set of dumbbells: you can either use/purchase your own, or workout at a gym. If you’re looking to do this all at home, I recommend these weight options:
- Free weights: $27.49 (this option allows you to pick three weight sizes – feel free to reach out if you have questions about what weight size to start with)
- Budget Friendly Adjustable Weights: $49.99 (this is an adjustable set that goes up to 38 lbs BUT are less convenient to switch between different weights during the workout – it takes some time to unscrew and add/remove the weighted plates – we used these in Europe and they’re a cheaper option for the adjustable weights, but a little less convenient)
- Recommended Adjustable Weights: $299 (this is for the pair of adjustable weights – you will have weight options from 5 lbs to 52.5 lbs – more spendy, but it’s what we use, super easy to switch between weights and will pretty much last for your entire workout career :))
- Shakeology – I guarantee it will make a huge difference in your results. You can cancel at any time and we offer a full 30-day refund if you don’t like it – so you could literally drink it to the bottom of the bag, then return it if you decide it’s not for you.
- Performance Line Supplements: ENERGIZE pre-workout & RECOVER post-workout formulas. If these fit within your budget, I HIGHLY recommend them, particularly with a heavy weight program like this one. Energize is an amazing all natural energy boost you can take right before the workouts (although, I use it in lieu of coffee every morning too), and Recover is post workout supplement that contains protein and a BCAA formula to help you develop lean muscles, help your muscles recover more quickly, and combat fatigue
- Access to a smart phone, TV, tablet, computer, or device that will allow you to stream/download our workouts. All of our workouts are completed with Beachbody On Demand (BOD). Membership to BOD comes with the packages below.
real talk + review
As with ANY of these Beachbody programs, nutrition is a cornerstone – you cannot out train a bad diet. With this program especially, I found that nutrition was an extra challenge. Only 4 workouts a week means you either need to incorporate additional workouts to ensure you’re getting your full calorie burn, or really monitor your food intake.
If you are not already following the portion control container system or the 2B Mindset nutrition program, LIIFT4 does come with a nutrition guide based on the portion control container system, but without the containers. It is easy to follow and incorporate into your lifestyle, and includes a cheat meal every week.
We may have taken this whole “cheat meal” a little too far, so I highly recommend only utilizing the cheat meal if you have a special occasion!
4 workouts per week!
The 4 workouts per week were sort of a blessing and a curse for us! They made it really easy to do numerous other activities on our “off,” days, but also resulted in me personally struggling with finding the right balance of how much to eat!
Some weeks I did WAY too much on my off days, and was found myself SUPER tired and fatigued for my LIIFT4 workouts. Other weeks I knew I was eating WAY too much for the amount of activity I was doing.
Chris had a less challenging time striking this balance, so maybe it was just me!
Because there are only 4 workouts per week, this is an INCREDIBLE program to do while you’re traveling and/or if you have other activities you like doing!
In case that isn’t enough, there are several workouts over the course of the program that use no equipment at all (body weight only!), AND a modifier for the ENTIRE program who shows you how to use a resistance band instead of weights. SAY WHAT?!
YEP! You can literally complete this entire program using just a resistance band!
Here is the one that Joel uses in the workouts.
Most of you who know my hubs, know he is ALWAYS optimizing to make himself healthier, faster, and stronger.
He has been working out for, well, his entire life, played semi-pro football, owned a crossfit gym, competed in crossfit, etc. etc., so when I started this whole Beachbody journey in January, he watched, but said “no thanks,” to participating in a full program…until this program!
As you may or may not know, Beachbody releases NEW fitness/nutrition programs that you can access directly from anywhere via your smart phone, tablet, TV, etc. And a lot of their programs aren’t just weight loss oriented. Enter LIIFT4.
I jumped at the chance to workout with Chris, so when he said he was interested in this program, I decided to commit too!
8 weeks. 4 scheduled workouts a week, with less than 40 minutes per workout. Honestly, wayyyy more than just one cheat meal a week. At least one empanada a day for the last four weeks (because we were in South America!) . A few too many glasses of wine. Five Countries. Twelve cities. All culminating with Yankee Thanks (American Thanksgiving) three days before our “after,” photos.
This progress is what I call “mindful balance.” Ha!
This just wasn’t my most fit “season,” of life, I wasn’t totally feeling this program, and we were traveling, with lots of food and alcohol filled events.
With that, I still lost several inches, and a couple of pounds, all while getting to enjoy a holiday/travel season, participating in social events, and not feeling deprived.
Chris’ final LIIFT4 results: Lost two pounds (he wasn’t looking for weight loss, so this was a bonus!). Dropped THREE inches in his waist, another inch in his chest, and two inches in the legs. And last, but certainly NOT least, dropped 4.3% in BODY FAT.
BONUS – FREE LIIFT4 workout
TRY A LIIFT4 workout for free! Just fill out the below information and I will email you the workout!